MaryAnn's Family Hearing
MaryAnn's Family Hearing 

Why choose a certified audiologist?

How does a certified or licensed Audiologist compare to a hearing instrument specialist?



  •      An Audiologist is well-educated, having either a Master's (M.A.) or Doctoral degree in the field of Audiology. A hearing instrument specialist (HIS) is only required to have a high school education with minimal training by an existing HIS, and pass a test for hearing aid dispensing.


  •     Audiologists are able to perform diagnostic testing, and are thus able to identify medically treatable hearing disorders. A hearing instrument specialist performs basic hearing tests or screenings.


  •     As Audiologists, it is our job and responsibility to identify, treat, and counsel based on knowledge of the entire auditory pathway to the brain. Often, but not always, hearing aids are a part of the treatment for hearing loss. A hearing instrument specialist is a technician whose job is to simply sell hearing aids.


Although any credentials may appear impressive, all are not created equal. Look for M.A. or Au.D. rather than HIS if you want total care for yourself or a loved one!

Business Hours


1701 Mentor Ave 

Suite 5

Painesville Twp.,  OH 44077


440-357- 4327 (HEAR)



Business Hours

Monday       8:30–7:00*

Tuesday        8:30–5:00

Wednesday  8:30-5:00

Thursday      9:00–7:00*

Friday           8:30–5:00

Saturday available by appointment

Sunday        Closed

*Please note that early morning and evening hours are available by appointment only.

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© MaryAnn's Family Hearing